Such a pain.  Try this (it worked for me on Mac OS X)...

1)  Get an older version at
http://mac.oldapps.com/google_chrome.php
-- I chose Google Chrome 21.0.1180.89 from August 30, 2012.. the direct
link is
http://mac.oldapps.com/google_chrome.php?old_chrome=1260

2)  Drop it somewhere other than your Applications folder.  Rename it to
Google Chrome.older (or whatever), THEN put it into your Applications
folder.  Leave the more recent Google Chrome app right were it is... it
will remain the target of updates, even if your Google Chrome.older
triggers an update (i.e. the ".older" version won't get overwritten).

3)  For me, that ".older" one runs the GWT DevMode Plugin just fine... just
like in .older times.

4)  For kicks, it seems you can tune Google's update interval.  Here's an
example where you can stop it entirely (notice the zero...)
>From the command prompt:  defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent
checkInterval 0
I found that one
at http://support.google.com/installer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=go&answer=147176