Hallo,

thank you for your responses.

It seems, that the bug has been fixed (Revision r10360, date Jun 21, 2011 )
even before the Issue 6551 report from Jul 4, 2011, but did not make it
into GWT 2.4 release.

So that's not as scary as I thought, just the Bug-tracking was not updated
;-)

As to the bad coding point:

Good practice or not, implementing or overriding classical abstract methods
like 'isValid()' may result in methods always returning 'true', if there is
nothing to validate. A Compiler should produce working code, even with bad
coding ( or throw a warning). To ignore a method's side-effect is a clear
bug.

Problem is, that this was my first GWT project and I was very pleased with
the workflow and great functionality ( I'm using it with Ext GWT 2.2.5).

I had to convince my client to use this technique, who was very skeptical
about the Java / JavaScript cross compiling part. So stumbling over an
optimizer bug in the first project was not helpful ;-)

I must admit, the GWT team fixed that quite fast. Now I'm looking forward
to the GWT 2.5 release.

Best regards

Marc