Maps are currently not supported as of
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=5524 a patch
has been submitted but apparently it is blocked by
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=5974 so I
guess you have to review your transportable type (maybe using a bean
wrapper with 'string key' + 'BaseObject value' as suggested in the first
issue).

When in doubt check the issue list and poke around tests in the gwt suite.
For instance:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/user/test/com/google/web/bindery/requestfactory/gwt/client/RequestFactoryPolymorphicTest.java