It is indeed a nice feature to have out of the box.

Lately I've been using a really nice library to use protobuf-like messages
with GWT. It can generate jso implementation of server-side proto-generated
classes, or you can even easily define your own class generator using
StringTemplate (e.g., to generate RequestFactory Proxy interfaces). And
much more. Take a look http://code.google.com/p/protostuff/ Of course it is
not entirely Protobuf, see
http://code.google.com/p/protostuff/wiki/ThingsYouNeedToKnow

There is also http://code.google.com/p/protobuf-gwt/ by Broyer although I
do not know its current status (but I guess, watching the changes, it is
suspended since a couple of years).