Actually a <!DOCTYPE HTML> declaration means standard mode, not strict. So
you are fine with it.
See
https://developers.google.com/web-toolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideUiPanels#Standards
To force IE8 standard mode try to add in the head element

See http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/IE8Support