This is interesting.
I'm not aware of any technique used to hook the bootstrap phase before the
onModuleLoad() gets called. But it's also true that in the bootstrap phase
[1] for a gwt app, the linker is the one responsible of its startup
(iframe, cross-site, ...). So digging into [2] and [3] is probabily the
place to look for answers. The idea is to wait for the
DOMContentLoaded/readystate
event and alter the dom to show what is happening. Unfortunately I guess
that much of the bootstrapping is done before you can freely manipulate the
dom.

After the onModuleLoad() gets called (always after such
DOMContentLoaded/readystate
event but not necessarily after the onload() [4]) you are free to use
anything you want (dom or not, related):
 - using a loading gif to be removed when everything is ready;
 - faking a loading indicator by using some predefined (i.e., defined in
the host page) images/divs to be removed in some particular steps (e.g.,
after an initial async returns) which causes a simple loading progress
effect.

[1]
https://developers.google.com/web-toolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideOrganizingProjects?hl=it#DevGuideBootstrap
[2]