I also recently received a notification about an issue I was following,
because it has been set as "AssumedStale", an issue that must be still
present, since I have no evidence that any fix for it has ever been done.

Really, I can't understand what are the plans for GWT by Google. Will it be
supported? Is it going to dead?
I am following a lot of open source projects but I never saw a situation
like the one of GWT, except for projects that are being shutting down and
hence are in "maintenance-mode" only..

GWT is a relatively recent project, but after some years of active
development it seems to be already on its way out. It may have lost
attraction by Google... but in this case a clear statement would be
appreciated.

I mean, I can't understand why/how:
- a bug report that does not receives updates for a while is marked as
"AssumedStale": a bug should either be accepted (waiting for a
prioritization and fix) or rejected as "won't fix"; interested people are
not supposed to keep on writing "up!" or "any news?" messages just to keep
a bug report "fresh", especially if this has been proven to be useless for
the GWT/GPE issues (an great example:
http://code.google.com/p/google-plugin-for-eclipse/issues/detail?id=48 and
its original report at
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=6660: it's a
bug that  severely affects the usability of the Eclipse IDE and it also has
there's also an attached patch!!!! ... nevertheless it is being ignored for
years)

- bug reports that are quite important and relatively circumscribed are
ignored for years: I understand that there can be lack of resources on the
core GWT team, but apart from the fact that this extremely shortage of
resources is itself a proof that GWT is a project Google does not support
any more in a reliable way, I could understand such delays for issue
reports that involve very large portions of critical aspects of GWT, not
for small and clearly-defined parts

- bug reports that have few stars are "AssumedStale": once again, I can't
understand the rationale behind the use of "AssumedStale"... Many people
don't bother to report bugs, while some improvements may be foreseen by few
people, but this does not mean that they might not be of interest for a lot
of other people if they ever get implemented; once again I think that a bug
should be either accepted and then fixed or just rejected as "won't fix"

- discussions and detailed arguments as the those written by Thomas Broyer
here are not posted on the bug reports themselves: this would give the idea
that someone at the GWT core team actually cares about and reads bug
reports...

I understand the will to make GWT modularized and I appreciate the
advantages that this could bring, but I do not agree with the philosophy
"then, let's keep the main GWT project almost featureless, so that features
are added by external third-party projects", especially because:
- I see no support by the main GWT core team to external projects (I mean,
a "market-place", or just a community portal that lets you find related
projects or something like that)
- as other people have already said, many parts of GWT are not designed to
be extended (I also personally encountered many difficulties in extending
base GWT components)
- I still think some improvements should be made in the core GWT project,
or at least adopted from external projects: extreme fragmentation is not a
good thing and the risk to have parts of the "platform" die prematurely is
too high

Once again, IMHO these are reasonable points if there's some serious
intention to support GWT as a solid project/platform for the upcoming
years, but if there's not such a will, well... that's another story.

Last but not least: no offence, but using the AssumedStale keyword in this
way because you need to "clean up" the issue tracker sounds as nonsense to
me... Otherwise, you could just close the issue tracker to get a better
result ;-)