On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:53:36 PM UTC+2, Timothy Spear wrote:

> How would the declarative UiBinder jeopardize browser independence?

I think he's talking about HTMLPanel actually, which is independent from
UiBinder, but which UiBinder makes it so much easier to use.

BTW, I don't think there's any *guarantee* of browser independence. There's
a *best effort* in terms of behavior but not really in terms of rendering
(except for "container" widgets, but that's part of their "behavior"
right?).
When I say *no guarantee*, I say it as if I told you jQuery makes no
guarantee either.

For rendering, you'll have to use CSS (you won't use one the built-in
themes, will you?), and you'll hit browser discrepancies there.
GWT's main goal is not to *hide* these discrepancies (it does hide many of
them, but so do many JS libraries), but to use Java as your programming
language of choice, allowing you benefit from its static typing, use most
existing Java tooling, and share code with other Java-based environments
(server-side Java, desktop Java, JavaFX, Android – and even iOS with
Google's J2ObjC).
Just like with any platform, you'll have to learn it, and GWT's platform is
the Web, so it won't free you to learn HTML, JS and CSS.