Below is a CSS example that does what I was talking about. This css is used
as a css resource in GWT so I had to wrap the calc in a literal. The left
and right properties used by some browsers and the width with the calc is
used in others.

.form-input-line-cell {
    /*
        !!! This class has two ways of specifying the width. One way works
on chrome and client and the other firefox
        and IE. Fortunately, the both work together
    */
    position: absolute;
    left: 8px;
    right: 8px;