Of course, the requirements of your particular application are the main
gating factor for any choice and we don't know what the applicaiton is.
But generally speaking, GWT is great for single-page applications;
applications that run in the browser but act like desktop applications.
Rather than loading page after page and keeping data in a database-backed
session, your applicaition runs on a single page and keeps most of it's
model in the client until it needs to persist it.  The results is a more
fluid user experience.

JSP/Struts are great for creating traditional web pages with dynamic
content.  The user's session data (model) is kept in the server's database
and when a page is requested, that model is used to render user-specific
content into the page before it is returned to the browser.  The advantage
of this model is the central control the server provides.

If your application is heavily content oriented, then serving it as a set
of pages makes sense.  If you are running a lot of business logic (beyond
things like form validation) on the client, then you will want to use a
language and tooling for that logic that supports good software engineering
practices.  The two things ares not mutually exclusive; you may use JSPs to
write that basic DOM and a JSON model into the page and use logic in GWT to
run the page.  However, I would look to make a binary choice at first; I am
delivering pages or am I writing a application;  If you are delivering
pages, traditional web technology works well.  If you are writing an
application, something like GWT will help you create a modern, browser
delivered application.

Ed