Just following up on this.  It turns out the problem was that I have some
native javascript that builds some elements after the page loads and these
elements are referenced in the gwt (that's where the null panel was showing
up).  Even though this panel is referenced in a deferred block the page may
still take longer to load than that and the elements aren't yet created.

I tried fixing this by dynamically loading the gwt nocache file in my
native javascript with something like this:

var gwt = document.createElement("script");
gwt.setAttribute("type", "text/javascript");
gwt.setAttribute("src", "gwt/gwt.nocache.js");
document.body.appendChild(gwt);

But either the browser or gwt didn't like it (I got various errors that I
couldn't figure out).

So, I ended up creating a timer that keeps checking the availability of
that panel and only proceeds after it's been created.  Seems strange I
can't control when the GWT files get loaded, but this will work as a backup.

Thanks again for the help!