On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:

>    I'm a bit concerned with the character sets -- the provided
>    translations don't use HTML escape characters, like &eacute.
>    The polish translation appears to use the iso-8859-2 character set,
>    while the German translation seems to be in straight ASCII --
>    I wonder if that is actually ok? I'd prefer using HTML escape
>    characters, but I'm not sure I have the ability / knowledge to go
>    ahead and put them into the translations. Any help is appreciated.

Nit pick: é not &eacute -- this is a common HTML bug. Unfortunately,
MSIE renders the latter as an e-acute too, so people who only test their
pages on MSIE never realise that it will render in an unintended way on any
conformant browser.

Anyway, Polish can't use the &....; things because there isn't any
&lslashed; etc. So what I do with analog is have one extra field at the top
of the language file declaring the character set. This is then put in a
<META> tag at the top of the page like this:

<head>
<title>Statystyki WWW</title>
<link href="/~sret1/analog/analog.css" rel="stylesheet">
</head>
<h1>Statystyki WWW</h1>

Program uruchomiony: Pon, 30 Nie 2000 13:54.

You might find this idea useful.

--
Stephen Turner               http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
  Statistical Laboratory, Wilberforce Road, Cambridge, CB3 0WB, England