Happy New Year!

As 2011 ends, it is once again time to look back at The Mail Archive.
First, let's talk hardware. We broke the 100 million message barrier this
year, which is getting close to the design limit for our current hardware.
Next year will almost certainly require a new storage system, although
we'll probably wait at least a quarter as supplies continue to recover from
the horrific flooding in Thailand. And who knows, maybe 2012 will be the
year we finally jump completely to solid state storage. The Mail Archive
typically runs at 8X replication, which turned out to be an excellent idea
this past week when we lost four (!) copies due to mechanical failure of
disk drives. I suspect the reason has to do with one of the failure modes
of spinning disks; they seem happy but once they stop moving they don't
want to start again. Hence it is not that surprising to lose multiple disks
during a reboot. There was some downtime but no data loss, and we end the
year with 99.7% uptime.

Next let's cover financials. I'm once again proud of The Mail Archive's
donations. This year we helped support the Ada Initiative, which helps
women pursue engineering and technology. We donated towards disaster relief
in Japan. And we're still picking out the final recipient in these waning
hours of 2011. Donations are a fixed portion of advertising revenue, which
unfortunately declined this year. For whatever reason, there are fewer
visitors coming in from the global search engines. Fortunately, revenue
still exceeds the costs of running the service. So if you or your friends
have additional lists to archive or import, please go for it. Bottom line
is after 13 years The Mail Archive is still going strong, but there is no
danger of anyone getting rich.

Finally, let's talk about fun events. By far the most challenging import
this year was with the IEEE; I almost went crazy in the process but their
requested material is successfully online. Big thanks to the patient folks
on the IEEE side. Another set of kudos goes to the LibreOffice people;
being "difficult" and "demanding" helps keep us on our toes. Thank you. In
personal news, I became a father this year, so the majority of sleepless
nights had nothing whatsoever to do with email. Finally, one of the charter
goals of Mail Archive, Inc. is to have fun, and towards that end the three
of us have booked a flight aboard a zeppelin on January 8th. Most of my
knowledge about zeppelins comes from Indiana Jones movies, so I'm expecting
a lot of excitement.

Have a happy and healthy 2012, Mayan Apocalypse or not!

-Jeff