A lot of crazy stuff happened in 2016. Looking back, what parts
of that touched The Mail Archive?

Let's start with mundane computer stuff. Uptime was great, the service
was online for the entire year except for 9 hours, 12 minutes. Some
additional hard drives were converted to SSD, and some RAM was added
just to make things a little faster. Our SSL certificate vendor
surprised us when they were bought by another company. We plan to change
vendors in 2017, and will be dropping the extended validation
certificate as part of this. Software was very stable. The most visible
improvement was making The Mail Archive's homepage mobile friendly, but
there were a few behind the scenes tweaks especially to the search
engine. Version control says only about 600 lines code changed in total
over the year.

In July, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen decided to stop running Gmane, which is
another long running email archiving service. We offered him support
(mostly emotional!) and so far it looks like that service has transferred
to new hands. Hopefully that will be successful. It's another reminder
just how much people behind infrastructure matter. In November, we
changed policy to make message deletion a little easier than before. So
far there has not been a significant difference in the number of
requested deletions. From a traffic perspective, overall visitors
continues to decline. We are keeping an eye on this and will make
adjustments as appropriate. This year we donated to The Marine Mammal
Center, Doctors Without Borders, and Planned Parenthood.

As always, thank you for using the service and I hope we can contribute
positively to 2017.

Jeff