Hi

My 2 cents.

Leave at least 4K inodes, then you get massive improvement on small files (less 3.5K minus whatever you use on xattr)

About blocksize for data, unless you have actual data that suggest that you will actually benefit from smaller than 1MB block, leave there. GPFS uses sublocks where 1/16th of the BS can be allocated to different files, so the "waste" is much less than you think on 1MB and you get the throughput and less structures of much more data blocks.

No warranty at all but I try to do this when the BS talk comes in: (might need some clean up it could not be last note but you get the idea)

POSIX
find . -type f -name '*' -exec ls -l {} \; > find_ls_files.out
GPFS
cd /usr/lpp/mmfs/samples/ilm
gcc mmfindUtil_processOutputFile.c -o mmfindUtil_processOutputFile
./mmfind /gpfs/shared -ls -type f > find_ls_files.out
    CONVERT to CSV

POSIX
cat find_ls_files.out | awk '{print $5","}' > find_ls_files.out.csv
GPFS
cat find_ls_files.out | awk '{print $7","}' > find_ls_files.out.csv
    LOAD in octave

FILESIZE = int32 (dlmread ("find_ls_files.out.csv", ","));
    Clean the second column (OPTIONAL as the next clean up will do the same)

FILESIZE(:,[2]) = [];
    If we are on 4K aligment we need to clean the files that go to inodes (WELL not exactly ... extended attributes! so maybe use a lower number!)

FILESIZE(FILESIZE<=3584) =[];
    If we are not we need to clean the 0 size files

FILESIZE(FILESIZE==0) =[];
    Median

FILESIZEMEDIAN = int32 (median (FILESIZE))
    Mean

FILESIZEMEAN = int32 (mean (FILESIZE))
    Variance

int32 (var (FILESIZE))
    iqr interquartile range, i.e., the difference between the upper and lower quartile, of the input data.

int32 (iqr (FILESIZE))
    Standard deviation

For some FS with lots of files you might need a rather powerful machine to run the calculations on octave, I never hit anything could not manage on a 64GB RAM Power box. Most of the times it is enough with my laptop.

--
Ystävällisin terveisin / Kind regards / Saludos cordiales / Salutations

Luis Bolinches
Lab Services
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/services/labservices/

IBM Laajalahdentie 23 (main Entrance) Helsinki, 00330 Finland
Phone: +358 503112585

"If you continually give you will continually have." Anonymous