Hi

Creating a new FS sounds like a best way to go. NSDv2 being a very good reason
to do so.

AFM for migrations is quite good, latest versions allows to use NSD protocol
for mounts as well. Olaf did a great job explaining this scenario on the
redbook chapter 6

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg248254.html?Open

--
Cheers

> On 10 Oct 2016, at 23.05, Buterbaugh, Kevin L
> <kevin.buterba...@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> The last time we did something like this was 2010 (we’re doing rolling
> refreshes now), so there are probably lots of better ways to do this than
> what we did, but we:
>
> 1) set up the new hardware
> 2) created new filesystems (so that we could make adjustments we wanted to
> make that can only be made at FS creation time)
> 3) used rsync to make a 1st pass copy of everything
> 4) coordinated a time with users / groups to do a 2nd rsync when they weren’t
> active
> 5) used symbolic links during the transition (i.e. rm -rvf
> /gpfs0/home/joeuser; ln -s /gpfs2/home/joeuser /gpfs0/home/joeuser)
> 6) once everybody was migrated, updated the symlinks (i.e. /home became a
> symlink to /gpfs2/home)
>
> HTHAL…
>
> Kevin
>
>> On Oct 10, 2016, at 2:56 PM, mark.b...@siriuscom.com wrote:
>>
>> Have a very old cluster built on IBM X3650’s and DS3500.  Need to refresh
>> hardware.  Any lessons learned in this process?  Is it easiest to just build
>> new cluster and then use AFM?  Add to existing cluster then decommission
>> nodes?  What is the recommended process for this?
>>

>> Mark
>> This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the
>> individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information
>> that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from
>> disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you
>> are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
>> this communication is strictly prohibited. This message may be viewed by
>> parties at Sirius Computer Solutions other than those named in the message
>> header. This message does not contain an official representation of Sirius
>> Computer Solutions. If you have received this communication in error, notify
>> Sirius Computer Solutions immediately and (i) destroy this message if a
>> facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately if this is an electronic
>> communication. Thank you.
>>
>> Sirius Computer Solutions
>
> —
> Kevin Buterbaugh - Senior System Administrator
> Vanderbilt University - Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
> kevin.buterba...@vanderbilt.edu - (615)875-9633

Ellei edellä ole toisin mainittu: / Unless stated otherwise above:
Oy IBM Finland Ab
PL 265, 00101 Helsinki, Finland
Business ID, Y-tunnus: 0195876-3
Registered in Finland