On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 01:12:44PM +0000, GORECKI, DIETER wrote:
> One other thing to consider is the storage of data inside the inode itself
> for very small files. GPFS has the ability to use the remaining [kilo]bytes
> of the inode to store the data of the file whenever the file is small enough
> to fit in.
>
> Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but with 4k inodes, you can store up to
> (4096-128 header) 3968 bytes of data. (without ILM)
>
> So regarding the size of the files you intend to store into your filesystem,
> it might be very interesting to take advantage of the performance of your
> SSD's to store small files.

I agree it would, however, I have 30 % free capacity on SSDs only right now
(with
some snapshots and ~70M files). So I'm afraid I have to either change the
rotational disks to hold metadata as well or do not create more
files/snapshots or decrease the inode size. I cannot add more SSDs as I do not
have free disk slots in HW.

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek