Hi all,

We are experiencing some high I/O wait times (5 - 20 seconds!) on some of our
NSDs as reported by “mmdiag —iohist" and are struggling to understand why.  One
of the confusing things is that, while certain NSDs tend to show the problem
more than others, the problem is not consistent … i.e. the problem tends to
move around from NSD to NSD (and storage array to storage array) whenever we
check … which is sometimes just a few minutes apart.

In the past when I have seen “mmdiag —iohist” report high wait times like this
it has *always* been hardware related.  In our environment, the most common
cause has been a battery backup unit on a storage array controller going bad
and the storage array switching to write straight to disk.  But that’s *not*
happening this time.

Is there anything within GPFS / outside of a hardware issue that I should be
looking for??  Thanks!

—
Kevin Buterbaugh - Senior System Administrator
Vanderbilt University - Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
kevin.buterba...@vanderbilt.edu<mailto:kevin.buterba...@vanderbilt.edu> -
(615)875-9633