Despite its name, kswapd isn't directly involved in paging to disk; it's
the kernel process that's involved in finding committed memory that can be
reclaimed for use (either immediately, or possibly by flushing dirty pages
to disk). If kswapd is using a lot of CPU, it's a sign that the kernel is
spending a lot of time to find free pages to allocate to processes.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 05:53:58PM +0000, Simon Thompson wrote:
> Thanks Sven ???
>
> We found a node with kswapd running 100% (and swap was off)???
>
> Killing that node made access to the FS spring into life.
>
> Simon
>
> From: <gpfsug-discuss-boun...@spectrumscale.org> on behalf of
> "oeh...@gmail.com" <oeh...@gmail.com>
> Date: Tuesday, 27 November 2018 at 16:14
> To: "gpfsug-discuss@spectrumscale.org" <gpfsug-discuss@spectrumscale.org>
> Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Hanging file-systems
>
> 1. are you under memory pressure or even worse started swapping .

-- Skylar Thompson (skyl...@u.washington.edu)
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354