On 12/12/2021 02:19, Alec wrote:

I feel the need to respond here...  I see many responses on this
User Group forum that are dismissive of the fringe / extreme use
cases and of the "what do you need that for '' mindset.  The thing is
that Spectrum Scale is for the extreme, just take the word "Parallel"
in the old moniker that was already an extreme use case.

I wasn't been dismissive, I was asking what the benefits of using RDMA
where. There is very little information about it out there and not a lot
of comparative benchmarking on it either. Without the benefits being
clearly laid out I am unlikely to consider it and might be missing a trick.

IBM's literature on the topic is underwhelming to say the least.

[SNIP]

I have an AIX LPAR that traverses more than 300TB+ of data a day on a
Spectrum Scale file system, it is fully virtualized, and handles a million files. If that performance level drops, regulatory reports will be late, business decisions won't be current. However, the systems of today and the future have to traverse this much data and if they are slow then they can't keep up with real-time data feeds.

I have this nagging suspicion that modern all flash storage systems
could deliver that sort of performance without the overhead of a
parallel file system.

[SNIP]

Douglas's response is the right one, how much IO does the
application / environment need, it's nice to see Spectrum Scale have
the flexibility to deliver.  I'm pretty confident that if I can't
deliver the required I/O performance on Spectrum Scale, nobody else
can on any other storage platform within reasonable limits.

I would note here that in our *shared HPC* environment I made a very deliberate design decision to attach the compute nodes with 10Gbps Ethernet for storage. Though I would probably pick 25Gbps if we where procuring the system today.

There where many reasons behind that, but the main ones being that historical file system performance showed that greater than 99% of the time the file system never got above 20% of it's benchmarked speed. Using 10Gbps Ethernet was not going to be a problem.

Secondly by limiting the connection to 10Gbps it stops one person hogging the file system to the detriment of other users. We have seen individual nodes peg their 10Gbps link from time to time, even several nodes at once (jobs from the same user) and had they had access to a 100Gbps storage link that would have been curtains for everyone else's file system usage.

At this juncture I would note that the GPFS admin traffic is handled by
on separate IP address space on a separate VLAN which we prioritize with QOS on the switches. So even when a node floods it's 10Gbps link for extended periods of time it doesn't get ejected from the cluster. The need for a separate physical network for admin traffic is not necessary in my experience.

That said you can do RDMA with Ethernet... Unfortunately the teaching cluster and protocol nodes are on Intel X520's which I don't think do RDMA. Everything is X710's or Mellanox Connect-X4 which definitely do do RDMA. I could upgrade the protocol nodes but the teaching cluster would be a problem.

JAB.

HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.