I always used the GUI for automating snapshots that were tagged with the YYMMDD
format so that they were accessible via the previous versions tab from CES
access.

This requires no locking if you have multiple GUI servers running, so in theory
the snapshots creation is "HA". BUT if you shutdown the GUI servers (say you
are waiting for a log4j patch ...) then you have no snapshot automation.

Due to the way we structured independent filesets, this could be 50 or so to
automate and we wanted to set a say 4 day retention policy. So clicking in the
GUI was pretty simple to do this for.

What we did found is it a snapshot failed to delete for some reason (quiesce
etc), then the GUI never tried again to clean it up so we have monitoring to
look for unexpected snapshots that needed cleaning up.

Simon

________________________________
Simon Thompson
He/Him/His