Hi Harris,

>> rather I'm given the actual string of letters and numbers that make up the
>> public key, and I am confused as to where I should paste this

>> I am having trouble finding my public key [...] I wonder if that's the only
>> way

You can click somewhere in a text field (e.g. while writing a mail in
Mail.app), then click on "OpenPGP: Insert my key".

These are GPGServices[1] functions that are included in the installer. You
might have to enable them in your keyboard preferences first.

Best regards, Alex

[1] http://www.gpgtools.org/gpgservices/index.html