To:
Centralized management solutions:

1) Thin-client Terminal Server:
LTSPMS Terminal Server2) VDI solutions:
Mainframes: (& mainframe computing model with VMs on server
 side IBM system z, XenDestop, vSphere, VMware View...)3) OS Streaming:
DRBLCCBoot...
Is that right, does everyone agree with this classifying ?

Thanks !
TheMadOne.

--- En date de : Lun 6.9.10, Nick
 Couchman <nick.couch...@seakr.com> a écrit :

De: Nick Couchman <nick.couch...@seakr.com>
Objet: Re: [gPXE] Can gPXE's network booting be classified as a VDI solution ?
À: "The Mad One" <biker6202...@yahoo.fr>
Date: Lundi 6 septembre 2010, 5h28

>>> On 2010/09/03 at 16:15, The Mad One <biker6202...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Thanks for the very informative reply, Nick,
>
> Short answer: no, gPXE network boot is not a VDI solution.
>
> I think I have misguided you, what I meant is : Can DRBL OS Streaming be
> considered a VDI solution ?

In the popular sense of the term VDI,
 no.

> Well, I was looking at OS Streaming as a sort of partial virtualisation
> (only the hard drive is virtual), but, is VDI really about the main OS
> software+apps running on the server side like in the mainframe computing
> model ?

The term VDI refers to virtualizing the entire machine in your data center and
only forwarding display information over the network.

> I was confused by Citrix's sayings about XenDesktop's OS Streaming to be the
> "low-cost way for customers to get started with desktop virtualization by
> leveraging existing PC resources and keeping datacenter overhead to a
> minimum"
> http://flexcast.citrix.com/technology/streamedvhd.html

Yes, marketing folks have a good way of confusing us :-).

> I categorized LTSP as a
 "thin-client
 terminal server" solution like MS
> terminal server for linux, but can Microsoft's terminal server be considered
> VDI, in my opinion no, I see virtualization as software layer replacing the
> hardware, to me a mainframe hosting VM's is a VDI solution because there's
> some hardware abstraction at some point but terminal server isn't VDI because
> it's just using a time-sharing OS with no more hardware abstraction layer. To
> me virtualization is about virtual hardware not about the desktop you see on
> screen being run locally or centrally, I'm I wrong ?

Yes, this is true - I was confused, too, at least momentarily.  LTSP represents
only the terminal services part of the solution.  VDI actually refers to the
entire package:
- Virtual desktop machines running on servers
- Remote display or terminal access technology connecting to these
 services

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to
 SEAKR.