Dear Edgar,

Unfortunately this is bug in colab, and there is nothing much that can be done.

Apparently they just switched from 3.6 to 3.7, even though the underlying OS (Ubuntu bionic) still has 3.6 as default. This means that every compiled Python module (cairo, GTK, etc) can only imported from 3.6, not 3.7.

Best,
Tiago