I finally managed to finish the georectifier module for the wxPython GUI for GRASS. A very nice new digitizing module also is functional and nearing completion. The wxgui is a fully functional replacement for the venerable TclTk interface. It needs testing, but should useable on a regular basis for both Linux and Mac. It especially needs people to get it up and working under Windows.

To compile, you need Python 2.4 or above (the current 2.5.x is preferred) and wxPython 2.8.x (2.8.7 is current). The digitizer also requires C++ and headers from the wxPython dev package to compile. I think binaries should work with just Python installed (this needs to be checked) -- and that requirement should be relaxed eventually if we package it with the distutils.

It's taken a lot of effort on the part of a dedicated group of people to get this elegant, new front-end to GRASS ready. Thanks are especially in order to Martin Landa, Daniel Cavelo, Jachym Cepicky, and everyone's expert consultant, Glynn Clements.

There are certainly bugs and a few rough corners that need to be fixed. But as with the rest of the GRASS project, we depend on your help to get these ironed. out. So set GRASS_GUI: wx in your .grassrc6 file and give it a whirl.

Once the initial round of testing takes place, the most egregious problems surface and are fixed, and the wxPython gui starts to appear regularly in distributed binaries, I think an announcement like this is in order for the general GRASS users group too.

Michael