Wouter Boasson wrote:
Dear Markus, Markus and Jens,

My MacBook survived the burn-in test :-) After 29 hours under full load,
alternating processor and disk access limited, I got my mega-vector file
cleaned. Thank you for the support and suggestions to solve my problems
with the large vector cleaning operation!
Glad to hear that it worked in the end!
Although the dataset was cleaned, files of this size are virtually
impossible to handle, especially as standard querying, extract and overlay
operations with raster datasets simply take too much time.
There are ways to improve both speed and memory consumption. There are hints in the source code and I have some ideas, but this is no easy task. The grass vector model is complex, changes need a lot of testing before they can be applied. And there are not that many developers working on the core grass vector libraries... This will only happen in grass7, I guess. Hopefully sometime this year...
I'll post a few related issues with mega files that makes working with them
very difficult. I'll post them as (separate) enhancements on trac, as they
are in my opinion of major importance:
-selecting a large vector map from a dropdown box in the wxPython GUI takes
a long time
-renaming this vector took 25 minutes (PostgreSQL access!)
-v.extract is also incredibly slow
-removing a vector file with an unreachable PostgreSQL database link does
not work, not even in force mode
-v.what consuming several GB of RAM only for querying a large vector map??
Some of the above operations could be improved, but it will take some time.
-v.rast.stats suffers from setting masks, extracting polygons and querying,
not usefull anymore for vector files this size, this is a particular slow
operations
Try the example script in the help page of r.univar.zonal, available in the grass-addons:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_AddOns#r.univar.zonal
It should be easy to modify it to your needs, it does something very similar to v.rast.stats, only faster.

Best regards,

Markus M