Margherita Di Leo wrote:

> sorry if my question might sound fairly naive, but I miss what's the
> rationale behind having in GRASS 7 the following modules:
>
> r.statistics
> r.statistics2
> r.statistics3
>
> Could't they be grouped into one at a certain stage?

r.statistics2 and r.statistics3 are intended to replace r.statistics.
But those two modules have almost nothing in common. r.statistics2
calculates statistics which are based upon accumulators (i.e. count,
sum of x^n, sum of (x-mean)^n), while r.statistics3 calculates
quantiles.

If you want a work-alike replacement for r.statistics, it would be
simpler to create a script which just runs r.statistics2 and/or
r.statistics3 to do the work.

In the event that you want both types of statistics, there could be
some efficiency gains to be had by merging the two, but only at the
cost of creating a module which is noticeably more complex than the
sum of its parts.

--
Glynn Clements <gl...@gclements.plus.com>