I'm trying to understand the function of i.latlong: when would it be useful?

r.sun optionally takes lat,long raster maps as input, and you could use
r.mapcalc x(), y() to create those then use r.proj to bring them into your
projected location. (or some v.mkgrid + m.proj + r.in.xyz magic)

but it turns out that the overhead in opening and reading those maps is more
work than just using the pj_() functions to calculate the cell-center
coordinate values either per-row,column or even for each cell on-the-fly within
the module. So it's a net loss and for grass7's r.sun I'd planned to remove
those two r.sun input options.

(it was otherwise added to r.sun in years past to allow r.sun to
work in an XY location, but I don't think that justifies the extra module
complexity)

?

thanks,
Hamish