On 26/08/13 08:56, Markus Neteler wrote:
Hi devs,
we should consider to get the preview (!) release out for the FOSS4G
conference in Nottingham in September.

+1

I would love to use it for teaching also, but need a +/- official version to get it accepted from our computer room managers.

The wxGUI refactoring done by Anna and Vaclav (sponsored by Fondazione
Edmund Mach) is also in SVN. We should identify the preview blockers
now.

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&order=priority&priority=critical&priority=blocker&col=id&col=summary&col=priority&col=status&col=type&col=milestone&col=component&milestone=7.0.0

Main blocker IMHO is still the Python and script launching issues (#580 and #1871, which are related). We did advance a bit, mainly looking at the possible solution of using the Python Launcher [1], but then I left on vacation and I don't think things have advanced since then. I believe that solution is worth some more detailed study and testing.

For other two blockers:

- One has a patch applied that needs testing (#1941, Japanese locale)
- The other (#2017, compilation of osgf library) cannot be reproduced by those that have tried. Can others try to reproduce ?

Concerning the critical ones:

- Two concern Windows code page issues (#995, #1288) for which I don't really know what a possible solution would be (is it possible to create a launcher for GRASS in Python, without using .bat at all ?)

- #1778 concerning modules not launcing GUIs is linked to there being not one single required option in these modules. The question raised was whether there is a possibility to make at a choice of at least one out of a group of options required.

- #1662 has not been confirmed by anyone. Maybe Sören could provide the test data.

- #1742 (menus hidden in non-english languages): It seems that the only solution besides complete redesign has been to simply make the default width of the layer manager larger. If everyone agrees this seems like a simple fix.

- #1844 seems to me a mix of different issues, but at least part of it seems to be related to the python script issues. I just tried with sqlite and it also hung, so this might actually be quite serious.

- #2034 concerns issues on MacOSX apparently linked to the choice of Python and wxPython versions. Cannot comment on that.

Moritz

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2013-July/065197.html