Vaclav wrote:

> This definitively sounds useful. I still don't understand why cairo
> does not solve it for d.* system. As for the GSoC idea, you should
> be more specific about relation to ps.map and which advantages it
> would have over ps to pdf conversion (which is done g.gui.psmap)
> and than something like pdf2svg tool (cleanness?).

the idea is to allow the user to import SVG graphics to use as icons and
decorations within GRASS cartography, in a similar manner to how eps files can
be used in ps.map already.

I didn't mean about SVG output, which as you mention the cairo driver and
ps2{foo} tools (e.g. inkscape from the command line) can theoretically do.

wrt student experience & the Android + meta-data systems, I wouldn't totally
rule out students who bring other talents to the table but have no previous
experience with GRASS, or make it sound so hard that
a good student decides not to apply. I'm sure it will work itself out, I just
don't want to put a new student in a rough
position.

cheers,
Hamish