On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 5:34 AM, Moritz Lennert <mlenn...@club.worldonline.be>
wrote:

> On 02/05/17 15:53, Vaclav Petras wrote:
>> I'm using pipe_command() which is just convenience function setting
>> stdout=PIPE. Similarly feed_command() is just setting stdin=PIPE which
>> I'm not using because I'm feeding the stdout of the other process
>> directly (stdin=first_process.stdout). What I don't understand,
>> regardless of using stdin=PIPE or stdin=first_process.stdout for the
>> second process, is what should be next.
>
> Do you really need the in_process.communicate() ? Here's what I used
> in a local script and it works, without communicate(). Then again,
> I don't think the data flowing through this pipe ever exceeded available
memory.

>         pin = gscript.pipe_command('v.db.select',
>                                    map = firms_map,
>         total_turnover_map = 'turnover_%s' % nace2
>         p = gscript.start_command('r.in.xyz',
>                                   input_='-',
>                                   stdin=pin.stdout,
>         if p.wait() is not 0:
>             gscript.fatal("Error in r.in.xyz with nace %s" % nace2)

The Popen.wait() documentation [1] says: "Warning: This will deadlock when
using stdout=PIPE and/or stderr=PIPE and the child process generates enough
output to a pipe such that it blocks waiting for the OS pipe buffer to
accept more data. Use communicate() to avoid that."

And since I'm using stdout=PIPE (pipe_command()), I use communicate(). What
troubles me is that Popen.communicate(input=None) documentation [2] says:
"Note: The data read is buffered in memory, so do not use this method if
the data size is large or unlimited."

It says "data read", so it probably talks about stdout=PIPE when
communicate() does not return None(s) but data (stdout=PIPE and communicate
with the same process), i.e. it doesn't apply to this case and I don't have
to be troubled. As for the wait(), I think that it may work (works most of
the time), it is just not guaranteed to work with large data and it depends
on how smart the OS will be.

Vaclav

[1] https://docs.python.org/2/library/subprocess.html#subprocess.Popen.wait
[2]