On 16/05/17 17:58, Paul Schrum wrote:
I am attempting to build GRASS on my machine and I suppose I am having
trouble.  I am so bewildered by all of this I can't actually be sure.  I
am posting to request help.  Here is my situation:

I am new to GRASS development, and I am working on GSoC on integrating
PDAL interoperability.   I have not yet set up my project's wiki page or
I would link it in this sentence.

I am running OSGeo-live on Oracle Virtual Box with my base OS being
Windows 8.1.

My mentor, Vashek Petras, directed me to start here:
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu#Dependencies
<https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu#Dependencies>
and work through the build procedure.  On that page, I am at the point
which states,

ensure that |/usr/local/lib| is added to |/etc/ld.so.conf| and ...

Well I have not created /usr/local/lib, so will it create it if it is
not present?  But more importantly, what is /etc/ls.so.conf.  I feel I
need to understand what role this file plays before I start modifying
it.  Currently it contains one single line:

include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

Also, I created a different dev path than /usr/local.  It is
/home/user/Desktop/ALL/SourceModules/cpp

and the proj directory resides there.  Should I create /usr/local/lib
anyway?

If you skip the install command, you can also skip all this.

Just run grass directly from your build directory in which after compilation you should have a bin/ directory (containing the GRASS GIS startup script) and a dist.*/ directory containing all the rest.

Just call the binary in the bin/ directory to launch GRASS.

/usr/local/bin & /usr/local/lib is where the GRASS GIS files are installed by default if you run "make install".

ld.so.conf is a file that contains the paths to libraries that programs might need. By adding /usr/local/lib to that file and running ldconfig (as root), you add all paths in that file (and in the files in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/) to the path where the system looks for libraries by default.

But if you run GRASS directly from the build directory, this is not necessary.

Moritz