On 8/12/17 5:03 AM, Vaclav Petras wrote:
Paulo,

thanks so much for a needed update.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Paulo van Breugel <p.vanbreu...@gmail.com <mailto:p.vanbreu...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I kept the link to
    https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/rgrass7
    <https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/rgrass7> but what
    about merging it with R_statistics? If we do, can keep
    https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/spgrass6
    <https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/R_statistics/spgrass6> as a page
to go for grass6 users.

I'm not in favor of the subpage idea for user wiki (but I think others are), so I'm for merging it or creating a special page if it is important to highlight separately from the general idea.

+1

(Does R+GRASS == rgrass? Or is also RQGIS?)

I would limit this to R+GRASS. RQGIS is a whole different story.

In this case, it seems that overview page is needed and then a specific page. rgrass7 is quite long already.

Merging it with r_statistics wouldn't make it that much longer, most what is on the r_statistics page is also on rgrass7 page. We can move the introduction on r_statistics to rgrass7, see if there is anything else worth moving, and that's it I think (about the name of such page, see below).

When you are at it, also note that the wiki page name is "R statistics" which is not the name of the project, nor the way how the project refers to itself [1]:

"""
What is R?
R is a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics.

The R environment
R is an integrated suiteĀ of software facilities for data manipulation, calculation and graphical display.
"""

=> "R statistical environment" or Wikipedia's "R (programming language)" if you want to avoid just "R".

One reason to use R<-->GRASS is that R adds statistical capabilities to GRASS. I guess this is why the pages was called R_statistics? But there are more possible reasons to use the two together. So, given that the page (and the rgrass7 page) is about using GRASS and R in conjunction, we could use the name 'GRASS-R', or more verbose, 'Using R with GRASS', or if possible in the url, 'GRASS<-->R'

Vaclav

[1] https://www.r-project.org/about.html