On dimanche 15 octobre 2017 21:28:24 CEST Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Markus Metz
>
> <markus.metz.gisw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What do you mean with "a more direct GRASS GIS integration" regarding
> > cloud
> > storage and/or Cloud Optimized GeoTIFF?
>
> Well, I tought of r.external and r.external.out.
>
> Markus Metz wrote:
> > Have you tried GDAL's virtual network based file systems [0]?
>
> ... I didn't yet since traveling all the time. Maybe simple and solved
> but I have no stable connections at time to try out.

Also note that the performance of network accesses depends a lot of how close
the machine is from the server. For example if you use the VMs of a cloud
provider in the same region as the bucket you access, the timing measuremetns
will be 10 times or more better than if you try from a consumer ADSL
connection.

For Linux & Mac, there are also various projects that use FUSE to mount
buckets in the file system
https://github.com/kahing/goofys
https://github.com/googlecloudplatform/gcsfuse

I tried quickly goofys and it worked pretty well. It tends to have a more
aggressive read-ahead strategy than GDAL /vsis3/, which makes reading a lot of
sequential data faster than with /vsis3/. In latest GDAL trunk, the GeoTIFF
driver is aware of the network nature of the files and thus can better
optimize windowed access, so this makes it a bit faster in cases where you
only access part of the imagery (for example with MapServer that must satisfy
a WMS request on a BBOX, which was the use case for this recent round of
optimization, or if you have a processing spread over several VMs with a
spatial subdivision)

Even

http://www.spatialys.com