In example, in issue https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues/1616, Maximilian Stahlberg would like to be able to catch signals (i.e. SIGINT) with(in) a Python the script to perform on-demand tasks such as reporting the current status. He proposes a solution as well. Say a developer is interested in fixing this and he sets a cost for it. The user decides to sponsor this specific work
and things happen.

Would this be something worth considering for the GRASS GIS development team?
Is there a way actually to connect https://opencollective.com with
https://github.com/sponsors? GitHub has already an account
https://opencollective.com/github.

Cheers, Nikos

---

On 2021-09-03 16:02, Moritz Lennert wrote:
Hello everyone,

As has been discussed in the past, we have now an active Open
Collective account which can be used to receive donations. This means
that we can stop using the PayPal Money Pool linked to my personal
PayPal account.

Our fiscal host on Open Collective is OSGeo. Thanks to Michael Smith,
the OSGeo treasurer, for his support.

Below is a first draft of an email I suggest to send to -announce and
other mailing lists. As you can see, we highlight a particular company
donation that we received at the beginning of the summer (but we were
waiting with the announcement until the Open Collective system was in
place).

Please let me know if you have any remarks or suggestions concerning this email.

Moritz

***********Announcement mail to be sent********************

Subject: GRASS GIS moves to Open Collective for collecting donations
and thanks its many financial contributors

In order to make money donations easier, the GRASS GIS project has
decided to use the Open Collective platform with the Open Source
Geospatial (OSGeo) Foundation as its fiscal host:
https://opencollective.com/grass. You can donate money via credit
card, PayPal, or bank transfer (US account - for EU account please
contact us). This new platform replaces our old PayPal Money Pool.

Although most of the work on GRASS GIS happens on a voluntary basis
(or donated by organizations and companies in the form of working time
of their staff), money donations are very important for the
development of GRASS GIS as they allow us to organize face-to-face
coding sessions (sprints), finance infrastucture needs (web site, etc)
and sometimes pay developers to work on important but tedious bug
fixes. The new platform should allow both individuals and companies or
organizations to contribute to the GRASS GIS budget.

We would also like to take the opportunity to thank those who have
already contributed money in the last years. You can see a complete
list of sponsors on https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Sponsors.
Whatever the amount your help is deeply appreciated !

As an example of a company support we wish to highlight the very
generous donation recently received from Bohannan Huston, Inc.
(https://bhinc.com/). We asked Robert S. Dzur, Vice President Spatial
Data, to explain their motivation behind supporting the project. Here
is what he has to say:

"Our use of GRASS GIS is primarily related to areas of data inventory,
visualization, quality assessment and analysis.  As data producers, we
are regularly confronted with production challenges related to
ingesting and visualizing high data volumes of imagery, elevation /
point cloud and feature data.  GRASS GIS gives us the ability to
quickly handle large datasets at any point in the production stage.
For example, we use r.in.lidar and its capacity to read large
multi-billion point datasets from a text list and create derivative
elevation data products often to support both quality assurance tasks
as well as base maps for vector feature data development.  GRASS GIS's
multiplatform (Windows, Mac, Linux) support and integration with
GDAL/OGR is also a plus for us.  GRASS GIS gives us direct control,
access, and the ability to interact with our data at very granular
levels.  My colleague, Dennis Sandin also reminded me that one of the
greatest benefits of GRASS GIS is that its environments gives us a
plethora of options for manipulating data and testing/designing our
automation/workflow processes. We also appreciate the GRASS GIS legacy
and its long history of development dating back to its genesis with
the US Army Corps of Engineers and the continued scientific
foundations of its applications.

Over the past few years, we have been making a concerted effort on two
fronts to 1) support the geospatial open-source community and 2)
reduce our dependence on commercial software.  Typically, our support
had been through sponsoring the broader community through code sprint
events.  Last year, however, with code sprints on-hold we decided to
contribute to the QGIS crowdfunding campaign for point cloud
functionality.  At the same time, we attempted to make a corresponding
reduction in our commercial licensing contracts.  This year we have
also been trying to reach out to some of our key clients and teach
team how to use GRASS GIS on their own computing infrastructure.
Specifically, we engaged with one client to teach them how to use
r.in.pdal to develop elevation range maps from LiDAR point cloud data
as a complementary data element in their NDVI analysis to identify
vegetation canopy.  Another client was interested in merging DEM data
of differing source lineage and quality and we conducted a basic how
to session on GRASS GIS with them and shared details about r.patch and
r.patch.smooth.  Given those recent technical exchange efforts locally
with some of our clients, our experience with GRASS GIS, and our
objective to support a specific open-source project, this year we
decided to contribute to the GRASS GIS project.

If there are companies or organizations like us who are not already
using GRASS GIS to improve their workflows, they should be."

Convinced you want to support GRASS GIS financially ? Go to

~