Wow! Lots of advice flooding in. Thanks to all.

v.in.ogr Still fails to import the dbf even if sqlite is my internal database. I solved the problem by using the cnames option to v.in.ogr.

Regards

Craig

Patton, Eric wrote:
there are already several bug reports about problems (bad experiences) with the
10 characters limit in dbf. A simple solution is to use sqlite instead.
Regards,
Otto

And even if you aren't an sqlite guru, you just have to install it on your system and use the gui-based sqlitebrowser, which provides a handy interface to the most commonly-used database functionality:

http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/index.html

~ Eric.