On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 10:21 -0800, Rick Reeves wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm using v.in.ogr to clip a polygon set (in this case, county
> boundaries) to
> the boundary of a (rectangular) raster image.
>
> As far as I know, this is the only way to do this; I tried to create a
> new location
> with the same boundaries and import the polygon shapefile into the
> location, but
> clipping did not occur as expected.

Sorry for suggesting the obvious things (which you might have checked):

* if you want to clip based on a rectangular, did you try the "spatial"
parameter (or subregion in the GUI)? -- grab the extents of your
rectangular raster with r.info

> In any case, v.in.ogr did not clip the 'boundary polygons' to the the
> edge of the
> raster image, but included the entire polygon. Only excluded polygons
> completely
> outside of the bounding box are clipped.
>
> There MUST be a way to clip all polygons to the bounding box edge. Can any
> one suggest a way?
>
> The second edition of Netler's book discusses v.cutregion.sh and
> v.cutter methods,
> but I cant find any evidence of these in GRASS 6.2.
v.cutter is in grass5 -->
http://grass.itc.it/gdp/html_grass5/vector.html

Probably not ported in grass6 -- but it's not really necessary.

> Thanks for any help,
> Rick Reeves
Nikos Alexandris
.
Department of Remote Sensing & Landscape Information Systems
Faculty of Forestry & Environmental Sciences, Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
.
Tel.  +49 (0) 761 203 3697 / Fax.  +49 (0) 761 203 3701 / Skype:
Nikos.Alexandris
.
Address: Tennenbacher str. 4, D-79106 Freiburg i. Br., Germany