On 02/07/08 10:11, Hamish wrote:
Richard Chirgwin:
2) Set the paper size to 200" x 200"

AFAIU now, the issue is that the PDF output is compressed, not the PostScript
output of ps.map, which should be a best resolution. The
above trick is to get a create a resolution PDF, at the expense of
incorrect paper size. ie fool acrobat reader.

I have struggled with the same issue -- PDF conversion with the ps2pdf13 gs wrapper reduces the images to 72dpi.

for the PS -> PDF conversion try:

gs -q -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer \
  -sOutputFile=out.pdf in.ps

I tried with "-r1200" and "-r600x600" and "-density600" gs options but
those had no discernible effect AFAICT*, although the file sizes changed
a small amount (got smaller!). Probably due to the fact that I don't
know ghostscript very well.

"-dPDFSETTINGS=/printer" seemed to do the trick though.

Normally, you should actually be able to give this option directly to ps2pdf:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/6.50/Ps2pdf.htm

Moritz