On 03/07/08 16:47, Hamish wrote:
Hamish:
how to set up an accurate bubble plot legend?

Moritz Lennert wrote:
I create a new vector point map (belscale in the psmap
files) with the points placed at the spot where I would
like the legend.
Then it suffices to update the values in the attribute table to
relevant values related to your map and to display this 'map' just
like the real one...

thanks for the trick.
One thing that still bothers me with bubble plot is the
lack of the possibility to sort the bubbles so that you are
sure to have the largest in the back...

fillcolor=none  and go by outer ring  :-/
ISTR some code to sort them was committed somewhere..

I once created a d.vect.chart2 [1] in which I sorted the bubbles, but never committed it. At this stage, I'd rather implement it in d.thematic.point.

I see the New York Times often has nice bubble plots for their maps.
They make the fill color semi-transparent, then stacked bubbles are
darker where they overlap. PostScript won't "do" transparency, so
perhaps something to look for in the grass7 display drivers.

Doesn't postscript 3 include transparency ?

But I still think that an option to ordering them should be available.

Moritz

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2006-October/026624.html