WolfgangZ wrote:
John Stevenson schrieb:
Hi,

I have imported some tiles of 1 arcsecond SRTM data into GRASS 6.3 using r.in.srtm into a lat-long region. Whenever I import them to a UTM region, res=30, I get aliasing problems. This results in a grid of lines of jumps in elevation running through my data.

This happens when I use r.proj. I have also tried generating a text file of UTM coordinates via r.stats -1g, and cs2cs. Importing this as a raster or vector, and interpolating with r.surf.rst or v.surf.rst also give aliasing errors.

What is the best way round this? Importing at a higher resolution? How much higher? My ultimate aim is to compare the SRTM with LiDAR data, so if possible I would like to use an exact interpolation where possible.

Cheers

John

You have to check what interpolation methods are used. If you don't specify anything, Grass might use "nearest", but I'm only using Grass rarely. For myself I use gdalwarp with cubic or cubic spline resampling for that task.

http://gdal.org/gdalwarp.html

Regards
Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried with GDAL_warp and got the same problem. I tried linear, cubic and cubic spline interpolation. The 30m grid spacing is very close to the 00:00:01 resolution of the data. My final map ends up with a kind of grid pattern superimposed that is most visible on steeper slopes. I am using tiles n33w117 and n34w117 and projecting to UTM (epsg:26911).

Does anyone else have suggestions on how to convert it to UTM without this aliasing issue?

Thanks

John

--

Dr John Stevenson