On Sun, 16 Nov 2008, Kurt Springs wrote:

Hi folks,

I am trying to convert ascii files that I bought from the Irish Ordinance Survey in to GRASS vector format. These are digital terrain models. I want to eventually make a raster surface map and a 3d raster map out demonstrating where various archaeological sites are.

The files the OSI has sent me have a heading set off with "#" on each line, then the data. There are three columns, eventually x, y, z. These are separated by a space.

Some years ago I obtained gridded DEM data from the Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland, and I wonder if this was the same format. The two Ordnance Surveys in Ireland do seem to do a reasonable amount of cross-border co-operation. Anyway (I didn't actually use the gridded DEM data; they just sent me a sample to see if it would be useful for our purposes) the data I obtained was gridded at 50m resolution, i.e. it was already in raster format so as Hamish said could be directly imported as a raster. Could you maybe post a short sample of a few lines of the data format so that we can see the format exactly? ISTR (this was perhaps 6 years ago so memory a little hazy) that I wrote a Perl script to process the DEM format - if it *is* the same format I could try digging it out for you.

What is the resolution of the data? There are global free elevation datasets with a better resolution than 50m these days. Also with the OSNI data I realised that it had just been interpolated from contours with some other GIS, and I decided I was much better interpolating my own DEM directly from vector contour maps using one of the superior algorithms in GRASS. I got the vector contour maps from OSNI in DXF format and imported them into GRASS with v.in.dxf. I would recommend this approach over pre-gridded DTM data if possible, as it gives you more control over interpolating a DEM that is most useful for your purposes.

Paul