Hi Christopher,

I recently downloaded the Windows version of 6.3.0, to run under XP, and it looks like it will be useful to me. But I keep seeing an error which says that file libgrass_gis.6.3.0.dll cannot be found. This happens if I navigate to C:\GRASS\bin and type, for example, g.version

to use GRASS you cannot just type the commands (executable files) from the directory where they are located. You need to start GRASS first (from DOS or MSYS command line. or using the TclTk or Python GUI).

The dll exists all right. It is in C:\GRASS\lib so I'm struggling. Is there a crucial environment variable that I need to reset?

Yes. All the needed variables are already set in the grass63.bat file that is called when you launch GRASS from the GRASS group menu or from the desktop icon. Read the release notes on about launching WinGRASS: http://grass.osgeo.org/grass63/binary/mswindows/native/README.html#Launching%20GRASS

Regards,

Marco