I followed your suggestion, but I'm still getting the same problem.  It seems
strange that v.to.rast would create a vector file that has flawed topology.  Do
you know of any alternative to v.clean with rmarea?

Btw, I also tried to use v.generalize with a very small threshold and then
v.clean.  This method works for me.