IMO the esri term of a filled DEM being "hydrologically correct" is a misnomer.

Natural terrain has real depressions that impact surface water flow. Big depressional wetlands can retain water and release via groundwater or evapotranspiration.

I like how r.watershed acomodates known depressions and handles the flow as interception. Also, then one can use other tools to find problematic areas in a raw DEM. I modeled an internally drained basin using known depressions in GRASS, and it worked fantastic.

One problematic example for esri is modeling an internally drained or sink-watershed. These have no surface water outlet. If one filled it to get flow out of a 9 sq. mile watershed, the esri analyses are then meaningless. Which is one reason why filling a dem just to get an esri module to work and calling the DEM "hydrologically correct" is a misnomer an a limitation.

Mark