On 19/06/09 10:57, Hamish wrote:
Moritz wrote:
Sorry, just reread your message, and my answer is probably
not really helpful. In fact v.out.ogr does transform your
data to EPSG 4326, as the following message shows:

Warning 1: Longitude 638073.992861 has been modified to fit into range
[-180,180]. This warning will not be issued any more

by "modified" I would guess that it means it just throws away anything
out of that range, or sets it to the nearest -180,180 edge, not
reprojecting it.

You still might want to try to reproject (v.proj) to EPSG
4326, just to see what happens.

probably required. if so probably update the v.out.ogr help page and
perhaps add something like this in the code:

if( G_strcasecmp(frmt_opt->answer, "KML") == 0 && G_projection != PROJECTION_LL )
   G_fatal_error(_("KML format requires lat/lon data"));

or if you really wanted you could have it try to reproject to WGS84 LL
in the program instead of giving that fatal error.

I found this: http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2271. Apparently, automatic projection is integrated into the ogr KML driver. It seems that this feature was introduced with GDAL 1.6, so if you have an earlier version you have to reproject first. So, I think we shouldn't introduce a fatal error, but maybe just a warning in the man page.

Moritz