On 30/06/09 12:58, Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da wrote:
Hello list

I compiled grass-6.4.0RC5 (downloaded a tarball from the main site).
I'd like to learn about scripting grass with python.

Following the first sample script at the GRASS Python scripting
library (http://download.osgeo.org/grass/grass6_progman/pythonlib.html)
I created a test file called teste.py, and placed it on the Desktop.
When I try to run it inside a GRASS session I am geting the following
error:

GRASS 6.4.0RC5 (aeigT3):~/Desktop > ./teste.py
sh: teste.py: not found
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/grass-6.4.0RC5/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/menuform.py",
line 1931, in <module>
    GrassGUIApp( grassTask( sys.argv[1] ) ).MainLoop()
  File "/usr/local/grass-6.4.0RC5/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/menuform.py",
line 335, in __init__
    xml.sax.parseString( getInterfaceDescription( grassModule ) ,
processTask( self ) )
  File "/usr/local/grass-6.4.0RC5/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/menuform.py",
line 1748, in getInterfaceDescription
    raise IOError, _("Unable to fetch interface description for
command '%s'.") % cmd
IOError: Unable to fetch interface description for command 'teste.py'.

The file contents are just a copy+paste from the online example. Can
someone point me to the cause of the error?

In order for g.parser to work, the file teste.py needs to be in your PATH. So, you can do something like this:

export PATH=$PATH:.
./teste.py

Moritz