What is the best way to handle this?

Use a filesystem which was designed for a multi-user OS.

It could, but that replaces one problem (using FAT filesystems on
Unix) with another (users accidentally trashing other users' mapsets).

See the following use case:
A desktop/notebook used by a group of people. Of course, these collegues would not work on this machine simultaniously but log in at different times with different user names.

Any solutions?

The ideal solution is to skip the ownership check on filesystems which
don't have any concept of ownership. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how
to detect that.
In python os module I found something that may be used:
http://docs.python.org/library/os.html?highlight=filesystem#os.fstatvfs
http://docs.python.org/library/statvfs.html?highlight=filesystem

Thanks for clarifiying this. Can this be added to the docs? I have seen other forums wher people had these questions.

Best,
Timmie