I never had any problems with importing ESRI grid data with GRASS 6.4. Just follow the Wiki page for the header and use r.in.gdal for importing the data.
Hermann

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:Unable to open gridded data
From: Muhammad Rahiz <muhammad.ra...@ouce.ox.ac.uk>
To: Date: 13/12/2009 16:24

Thanks Hermann,

My original datafile has no colons. I've tried adding colon, removing colon, removing spaces etc but nothing works.

Muhammad Rahiz  |  Doctoral Student in Regional Climate Modeling
Climate Research Laboratory, School of Geography & the Environment Oxford University Centre for the Environment, University of Oxford
South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QY, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1865-285194     Mobile: +44 (0)7854-625974
Email: muhammad.ra...@ouce.ox.ac.uk

Hermann Peifer wrote:
Illegal line in header
ncols:         180