MS wrote:

If I follow correctly, instead of v.to.rast, you need to interpolate a raster DEM from the points. v.surf.rst produces nice results, but there are other interpolation modules as well in the raster category.

That's the method I use also.
I start with:
v.in.ascii -z in=<ascii_file> z=3 out=vect_pts
This creates a 3D vector using the z column as the height values.
Now set the desired region:
g.region vect=vect_pts res=xxx
Choose the raster resolution that suits your needs. If the points in the ascii file are at 25 m spacing, then you probably could interpolate at 10m-20m resolution (or better) with no problems.
Then:
v.surf.rst in=vect_pts layer=0 elev=dem ...
The layer=0 parameter indicates that you're using the 3D vector's z value for elevation.
--
Micha
Best regards,

Mark