ah, trying to open GRASS data on a Time Machine backup is probably not a good
idea.  It's a snapshot of your computer at a point in time, so it's possible it
made the backup when you had the GRASS data open on your MacBook HD and thus
has the lock file.  Time Machine backups also have some extra data attached to
them to make them difficult to change files (not a true read-only setup).  And
the way backups work using hard links, you could affect files in other backup
times.

Generally - don't mess with the backup, use a non-backup external drive to
store your data.  Or if the backup drive is big enough, save the data to a
separate folder from the Time Machine backups.

On May 4, 2012, at 4:29 AM, Bulent Arikan wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I am running GRASS 6.5 (2012) on Snow Leopard. I want to access a Mapset,
> have GRASS run analyses, and save new maps on an external HD.  I use this
> external HD to back up the same computer I am running the GRASS. When I
> direct GRASS to browse the 'grassdata' folder on the external HD and start
> GUI from a Mapset (Permanent or others) I get this error:
>
> /Volumes/MacBook Pro Backup/Backups.backupdb/Bulent Arikan’s MacBook
> Pro/2011-10-25-113623/Ari
> Bub/Users/bulentarikan/grassdata/TR_WGS84_37N/PERMANENT/.gislock: Permission
> denied
> ERROR: /Applications/GRASS_6.5/GRASS-6.5.app/Contents/MacOS/etc/lock:
> Unable to properly access /Volumes/MacBook Pro Backup/Backups.backupdb/Bulent
> Arikan’s MacBook Pro/2011-10-25-113623/Ari
> Bub/Users/bulentarikan/grassdata/TR_WGS84_37N/PERMANENT/.gislock
> Please notify system personel.
> logout
>
> [Process completed]
>
> I am not running concurrent sessions and I know that GIS Lock is a feature
> but is there a way to get around this, so that I can save time by directly
> having some very large-size maps stored in external HD?
>
> Thank you.
>

> BÜLENT ARIKAN, PhD
> Senior Research Fellow
> Research Center for Anatolian Civilizations
> Koç University
> İstiklal Caddesi No: 181 Merkez Han
> Beyoğlu - ISTANBUL
> TURKEY
> 34433
> (+ 90) 212-393-6036

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced
by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.  There is another theory which
states that this has already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro